Thursday, May 8, 2008

Deceived

I am your voice.

Its interesting how looks and words could be deceiving. Its even more interesting how people can hide beneath a carefully polished surface to make them look more socially accepted or appreciated. Whats not interesting is how a mother can let her child get hurt and go through a painful experience...without finding a reasonable explanation...or a logical reason...or even the right to let such a thing happen...Why: thats the question.

R. I've been so worried about her all year long. I've been trying to find reasons behind the sad look in her eyes..her social withdrawal..her silence..I thought this might be just a 'symptom' which does make sense..but deep inside..I felt something was wrong..really wrong..and I realized that even more today.

It was an ordinary day. I was feeling over-happy to see the kids and all. I saw R sitting just by the door. I waved to her and then she went with the PT to the hospital for some check-ups. When she came back, I gave her a big hug and played with her hair. There were the marks on her cheeks. 3 huge hand prints, full of anger, marked right there like its challenging me. Giving me a wake-up call. Slapping me right onto my face. I was so confused. I immediately started crying, not aware of how to react.

First thing: call the mother. Not picking up. Second: call the aunt. Not picking up. Third: call the police. The director didn't think that it was a good idea. I just took my camera and took pictures of the marks. Never thought that my student's profile will ever save such images of cruelty between the colorful pages that are splashed with paint and beautiful memories.

I was crying all day. I couldn't think right. For a moment, I felt like I had to take her back home with me. I asked the director to handle it from there. I knew I wasn't feeling well.

The story might sound like it ended here, but it left me with questions. Who? Why? Why? Why! This incident marked a new chapter in my career. It created a whole new aspect of teaching. I was never ready. I never thought I should prepare myself for that. But from now on, I do feel like a different teacher. A teacher who should not only teach. A teacher who should be a voice for her silent class.

5 comments:

The Ego said...

That sounds terrible...

S2 said...

I can't imagine a household that would allow such a thing to happen, especially to a helpless child. People talk about compassion, love, and care especially to those who need special attention. Though, on the other hand, no one has ever talked about the environment at home, or how these children are affected everyday, especially when it comes to "abuse."

I really hope this problem gets sorted out soon. I love the way you speak up for these children.

Don't let it go !

***TinKer BeLL*** said...

d: There isn't a word to describe the whole thing. Its beyond words.

s2: I wish there was an explanation behind what happened. But there isn't. Its so hard to find yourself not only involved with schoolwork, but you find yourself as a part of your students lives. Such a huge responsibility. And ofcourse, will not let it go. That, I promise.

Anonymous said...

Your words are really the words that had been going on in my mind during the time I was teachign KG!!

You get to discover that behind the shinky pinkish shoes and the fashionable dresses, many scars and wounded that kids can really speak about!!

I remember I had a problem with one of the students who used to be so isolated from everybody!! He used to bite his lips and keep his lips shut even when he is uttering some words which is very rare by the way!!

I was shocked one day when he spoke while I was reading the famous story of the three little monkies jumping on the bed!! He was pointing at the remaining monkey saying "Ms, that is me"!!

I know some people call their kids monkies if they are being naughty but his facial expression didn't tell me so!!

He later told me that his mom doesn't call him by his name but rather call him "Monkey"!!

I called my supervisor and asked for an urgent meeting with the mom!!

Ofcourse she was in denial but I know that kids don't lie nor make up such things!! She then said that she was joking because he is very naughty at home!! She didn't believe that we thought her child is an autistic child because he has never played with anybody else nor talked!!

Teachign kids is a mission. I am sure you can help them out whenever they are in troubles sweetie!!

***TinKer BeLL*** said...

his sweatheart: HI :) Its a very typical parents reaction to such a problem. Sometimes its really hard to understand how parents think or feel, especially when they have a child with special needs. Ofcourse we always have to be there for the students we teach because, as you said, its a mission, and in my case, my students can not speak, which makes it a much more challenging one. At the same time, if anything happens to them, anything at all, it makes me (as their teacher) feel so responsible and it really hurts!

Anyways, thanks for the comment.