Thursday, March 5, 2009

more ACTION

I can't believe how things change SO FAST at our center. Its freaky & very very annoying!


In my previous post, I mentioned that R & A were supposed to come back to my class, but guess what happened? I got two students back PLUS one more. Out of nowhere, little R showed up.


So little R is my number six! My class has become such a circus. I'm on my feet all the time trying to catch up with my new record: 6!


I received the news with a smile. No comments. Thats what I learned at the center. To receive orders, follow them, and stay in my very own classroom away from troubles. Ofcourse I had to go and check out little R's classroom and his educational plan that his teachers created for him. As expected, they didn't even bother to teach him. All he learned was: throw the garbage. I'm serious.

Here I am. A teacher of six students with mental delay, physical challenges, hearing and visual impairments. I'm loving the fact that I am dealing with students of different disabilities. Its adding so much to my teaching experience right now, regardless of the fact that I'm having a work over-load!

One thing that has been really bothering me about this 'over-load' is the way I'm handling it. I feel like I wana talk to someone about it, seek for advice, but I'm feeling hesitant about mentioning it to anyone. Now I have six students, and there is absolutely noway that I can spend an equal amount of time and effort with each and every one of them. What I have found myself doing is dividing them unintentionally into 2 categories. Those who may actually improve, and those who are hopeless. I found myself giving more of my time to G, little R, and H. Whereas A, R, and M come next. I'm not sure if this is right or wrong. I don't even know if I have the right to create such categories in a classroom where I'm supposed to be a teacher to everyone. Equally. I tried my best. I really tried. But G and H has been so much affected. And little R has already started imitating A's misbehavior.

I've been thinking of the reasons why I have 'categorized' my students. I came up with:

1. Family support. 2. Attendance. 3. Chance for improvement.


I always look at teaching as a mission. I look up at each student, and I believe that Allah be7asibne 3ala every single one of them. I always imagine, or dream, that someday, they will talk to me, and tell me how much I've affected them, and changed their lives. When I think of it, I try to picture a wicked teacher entering my classroom and teaching my students. She would come in, close the door, and no one, not a single soul, will have an idea about what she might do to them since they can not talk or express themselves. Its just between her and Allah. And thats what I always keep in mind. When I'm in class, Allah is watching me, and not being fair to them has made me feel so much guilty lately.

No comments: