Monday, January 14, 2008

expectations

Today was my first IEP meeting with H's parents and the rest of the team members--principle, social advisor, psychologist, occupational therapist, physiotherapist, and speech therapist.

I was really nervous and shaking the whole time. I kept on reminding myself that I am 'the' teacher, I must speak up, I should run the meeting and give my opinion in every single thing. And I did! I did explain my IEP goals and why I have chosen each. Although I should admit that it was kinda brief, but its probably because of being nervous. I explained to them the different strategies I'm using with H and they were really interested in what I had to say. I was glad!

Later on, it was the therapists turn. They stated facts regarding H's condition, and a proper diagnosis of her case--cerebral palsy. It was really hard to see their face expressions as the therapists went on and on talking about why H will never walk, why is she never going to improve dramatically, why is it important to set expectations. H's parents seemed lost, in shock, dissapointed. Or maybe they have known all these facts. It was just harder to hear it coming from someone else.

After we all talked, it was the parents turn. They saw that H has changed from all aspects. She is more social. She uses her hands more often. She shows initiation. She's always smiling. And she loves school, especially her teacher! They thanked me and said really nice Dou'aa. Hearing that coming from them touched my heart and I felt like crying from happiness. I know H is going to get better, even if it was through tiny little steps. I know because I can feel her, even if she can not talk or move. I can directly understand her through looking at her cute little eyes.

This is Special Education. Maybe I will never be appreciated by the principle. Maybe I will hate being a teacher at some point. Maybe I will go through times when I will be crying all alone, feeling lost. But such moments always make a difference. It makes the whole experience worth living. It makes teaching so rewarding, that you can't even describe it through words. It gives you this ticklish feeling that comes directly from your heart and spreads throughout your body. It makes you feel alive.

2 comments:

Bookworm said...

First Meetings - I can SO understand why you were nervous about it! But it seems that you did a great job and I'm really proud of ya ;)

I guess for parents, even if they know the extent of their child's abilities, having to hear someone telling them that their child is never going to be like other children is always going to be hard. I think tho, that it is important for them to know - I mean, what would happen if they kept pushing their child too far cuz they have higher expectations?

Maybe, they just need to focus on that child's expectations and set 'different' expectations for them.

You know what I noticed here? I know several families who have kids w/ disabilities - but some of them don't give their kids a chance, they do everything for them. While that's all very admirable, cuz I am 100% sure it comes from a sense of care and love, but I think in some situations the child could (and I stress could, rather than should) do some things on his/her own. I wish we had more awareness here - disability doesn't always mean helplessness, and it would really make a positive difference if we learnt to step back sometimes, and let them be independent for a while.

Good Luck Tinks! I'm so glad this was a positive meeting for you. It's going to be something you can always go back to when you're frustrated at the center - I think it'd give ya hope and motivation.

Bestest and sorry bout the looong comment!

***TinKer BeLL*** said...

bookworm: Before anything else..thank you for the comment!

As for the parents expectations part, yes I do believe parents should set 'different' expectations in the case of having a child with special needs. There is another case of a child who, from a medical perspective, will never walk. However, her parents can never accept this fact, which made that child go through tens of surgeries, hoping that she'll walk someday.

And yes, other parents show love and care to their child, but they show too much of it. Thats why, as a teacher, I think dealing with parents of a child with special needs is the most critical part in the IEP. We need to consider their feelings, and at the same time, consider whats best for the child.

I do believe that with experience, meetings will become better and better!