Monday, January 14, 2008

misleading thoughts

el7imdilla. Today I finished MEETING (2) which was with R's parents. Or in other words, R's mother and stepfather.

I did notice an improvement in the way I presented the IEP as I explained in details every goal, how am I planning to achieve each goal, and how can family support at home contribute to the development of each skill I've chosen for R. Her parents were very interested in helping out with whatever they can. Although this point could be very misleading, since its not their first time to show such interest. However, they did discover a lot of things about their daughter which wasn't really surprising to me. I also noticed that her mother is not as close to R. She's always busy and doesn't know much about her behavior or level. It occured to me that her stepfather is her 'primary caregiver', with all respect to the mommy. I think its really nice of him to put such great effort in order to take care of R and understand her. He also believes in her.
We concluded this meeting with insisting on attendance, cooperation, and successful communication between home & school.

What I loved the most about the meeting was the 'introducing PECS' part. I had a long word document infront of my eyes with long explanations about PECS, since I was pretty sure that I did not understand PECS completely. I was impressed. Its like I had the book saved somewhere in my memory. Its like I was reading from the book, translating it into Arabic immediately, and actually dicussing it with those who were in the meeting. Loved it! BUT...I really...really...really...hated the way the OT jumped into the whole discussion, making it sound like she is part of the PECS 'team'. Ofcourse I never want to be that kind of person: selfish, creates fake achievements, admire fame. But its like I had a plan in mind about how I'm supposed to introduce PECS to R's parents. I mean ofcourse there should be some kind of cooperative meetings amongst team members. But she was explaining the use of PECS in a different way because she hasn't even read the PECS book nor she discussed it with me first. Which messed up some parts of the plan.

Anyways, I'm so proud of myself. I was much stronger today, and I really hope Insha'Allah that I keep on improving in the coming meetingS.

2 comments:

S2 said...

I'm proud of you too !

You're their teacher, and after analyzing their daily activities and needs, you went for PECS as what they need. I admire the way you looked for a solution that is perfectly 'out of the box.'

Confidence will come as these meetings continue, and the way you took control of the meeting and led it is simply wonderful.

As for the parents, I really really hope they keep following up on their daughter's progress, since the hope you're giving them through their interaction at home is something i believe they should have been looking for a long time ago. I believe in these little children, just like you do, and can't wait to read about their progress here.


Best of luck with PECS, the parents, and your next post.



S2

***TinKer BeLL*** said...

S2: With parents, things always get so complicated. There are these parents who really care and will do anything to see their child achieve. There are those who pretend to be so. And ofcourse, the ones who never care and will proudly say it to your face. I really hope R's parents are the ones who seem to be!